Tuesday 1 May 2012

{ review } Switched by Amanda Hocking


Where to start with 'Switched' by Amanda Hocking?  It was that book.  The one you shove on a shelf & forget about for some time.  I had such low expectations for the plot of this little delight.

I put it at the end of my reading list, but it should have been at the top.  It was such a surprise.  The world which Hocking has dragged us into is the sort you easily fall into, images forming as if you were watching the television.  I think time stopped as soon as I read the very first page.  It then became that book.  The one you find you're still holding whilst eating, bathing and yes, even peeing.

We are introduced to Wendy - A name choice I could have lived without, if i'm honest - who is 6 years old and having a 'fall out' with her Mother, Kim.  By fall out, I mean dodging death and thankfully being saved by her overly protective and at times completely moody Brother, Matt.

The mystery of her Mother's bizarre actions unfolds later when she meets a handsome, yet peculiar stranger.  That's Finn and you very quickly start to fall head over heels for this character.

Wendy's journey is indeed an adventurous one and her character develops constantly through-out the book (and the entire Trylle trilogy).  I actually really grew to like her which is not always easy when the protagonist is usually whiney and devoid of a realistic personality.  But no.  Not Wendy.  She's strong-willed but gentle & humourous at times but mature.

There's a whole host of characters that I really enjoyed getting to know & all with their own distinct personalities.  I feel that i've left good friends behind having finished the series.

I gave this book 5 stars... It held me captive and i'm sure it will you too.


  • Paperback: 356 pages
  • Publisher: Tor (5 Jan 2012)
  • Language English
  • ISBN-10: 1447205693
  • ISBN-13: 978-1447205692


No comments:

Post a Comment

some_text